Mark Twain wrote, “Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear…not absence of fear.” Courage is the ability and willingness to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty and intimidation. I’m not speaking about the obvious physical courage of the superhero. I am speaking about the heroic courage demanded of us each and every day.
I found some examples of courage through a basic google search:
- young and old soldiers fighting for our freedom away from their families so that we can be with ours.
- to say that you believe in a higher being and are not afraid to say so.
- standing up to the bully who will not leave you alone.
- to get out there and make a difference.
- to love the sick and the hungry and the homeless.
- to get up everyday when your body and spirit is weak to get better and heal.
- facing a situation that is easier left alone.
- forgiving someone who has hurt you.
- asking forgiveness when you have hurt someone.
How do we face our fears when the world might be against us and we do not know what lies ahead? I believe there are times we have to trust other people who can see outside of our present situation. We get tangled into the web of life so much sometimes that it takes those who love us the most to bring us back. We worry about what others might think or if the reward is worth the risk. We need courage to fulfill our destiny.
Courage, learned the “Cowardly Lion” from The Wizard of Oz (1939), is something without which we can have no real self-esteem. He was so guilt-ridden and ashamed of his own fear, anxiety and cowardice that he could not recognize his own courage. Hmm, I have been the Cowardly Lion before. Courage is a choice.
“Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6
If you are facing a challenge in your life or the life of someone you love I hope you can find the courage to face the road ahead. Life was never meant to be simple. It’s easy sometimes to place blame on God, the universe or other people. Sometimes we make our own bed. Sometimes we have to lay in it….but sometimes there are people who love us and want to help us get up and move on. Pick up your pieces. Move forward. You are loved.
Healthy Please XOXO,
P.S. You might just fly.